Welcome to the ventureBiTS journey!

As part of an Advanced Seminar in Entrepreneurial Strategies and Finance, 21 students from BiTS in Iserlohn, Germany have journeyed to Chicago. They will spend the month of July, 2014 exploring the city and their own entrepreneurial capacity. In this blog, they will reflect on what they are learning and experiencing during their time here.

Friday, July 11, 2014

my self-reflection blog (by robin dabow)


Kendall College – School of Business
Advanced Seminar in Entrepreneurial Strategies and Finance by Robin Dabow on July 10, 2014


Through the Personal Business Model Canvas exercises I had learn some new and interesting things about myself. First of all I can say that I have learned through this exercise to obtain a total new view about my personality. As an example I would like to mention the two boxes “costs” and “revenue & benefits.” I have experienced that love, money, time and stress which represents my costs are often equal to the revenue & benefits I received from others. I would like to quote here a line of the famous song “The End” written by the Beatles: “the love you take is equal to the love you make.” This line predicates that there is an equilibrium of things I give and get like money which I would spent for presents and benefits I get through receiving a present.

Yes, there was a lot of things I always felt to be true about myself and they were proven during this exercise. For example my key resources which are analytical thinking and communication skills and also the ability to work under high pressure. These key resources were confirmed to me by my employers' references and the opinion of many of my friends. This exercise helped me to be more self-confident and gives me the ability for a good self-assessment.

During the Business Model Canvas exercises I had identify travelling as an activity which I want to add to my personal key activities. I would like to see all the beautiful places all over the world and I also would like to learn more about foreign countries and there culture. I guess traveling at my age is one of the best activities ever. Because only now there is time to travel without obligations. Moreover I would like to improve my social media presence. It is my goal to establish a well prepared professional page to represent myself way better on Xing, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to potential employers than yet.

The business leader, Marissa Mayer, started her career at google. Through to success she promotes quickly to a top management position in the company and held top responsibilities like the home page and the product management structure creation. She was the figurehead of the whole company. But after that she lost the top responsibilities like the home page to other colleagues and received less important responsibilities like the business unit google maps. In 2012 Marissa Mayer went to Yahoo and received the CEO position.[1]

Marissa Mayer is similar to me because I can identify my leadership skills with hers. She is a leader with great motivation skills, convincing speeches and a lot of passion. An evidence for her motivation skills is the fact, that she uses the office hour’s concept from Stanford University. She offers time for conversations with her employees. This is pure motivation for normal employees. Furthermore she is a brilliant speaker. As a leader it is important to convince employees with great speeches. Lastly Marisa Mayer has passion. It is helpful to have passion and be committed to the goals of the company.[2]


[1] http://www.businessinsider.com/marissa-mayer-biography-2013-8
[2] http://www.forbes.com/sites/carminegallo/2012/07/17/googles-marissa-mayer-3-leadership-traits-shell-bring-to-yahoo/

No comments:

Post a Comment