Welcome to the ventureBiTS journey!

As part of an Advanced Seminar in Entrepreneurial Strategies and Finance, 21 students from BiTS in Iserlohn, Germany have journeyed to Chicago. They will spend the month of July, 2014 exploring the city and their own entrepreneurial capacity. In this blog, they will reflect on what they are learning and experiencing during their time here.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

the reunion

Reflective Blog II



My second blog is about an entrepreneur that I have met in Chicago during my Summer School at Kendall College. It is going to be all about Dwight Koop, the cofounder and COO of CohesiveFT and his leadership skills. I have spent some time with him when he visited the College for a panel on July 16th.


“We help enterprise use cloud infrastructure”: CohesiveFT is one of the original cloud networking companies. It is a Chicago-based growth-stage business that helps enterprise organizations to run production systems in the cloud since 2008. The main product is called “VNS3” (network routing and security solution). Over 700 customers extend networks to create clouds.




CohesiveFT is a pioneer in this market and offer more networking software than all the competitors if you would combine them. The team around Dwight is experienced in everything concerning software and networking.
I guess, Dwight is a democratic/ participative leader. The democratic leadership style is a very open and productive style of running a team. These leaders motivate their employees to participate in the business’ processes. Everyone has the possibility to spend his or her ideas and start a discussion about it. This style is needed in dynamic and rapidly changing environments where new ideas are needed more than anything else. In these fast moving organizations, every option for improvement has to be considered. I think that CohesiveFT as a cloud networking (IT-based) necessarily requires leaders like Dwight to be successful.
I was inspired of Dwight’s speech about his job and his life as an entrepreneur. He encourages his employees to come up with new things to think about. Of course, he as the COO of CohesiveFT has to make the last decisions but his employees all feel responsible for their tasks and the business.

He also was the COO of many businesses (e.g. Bedouin Inc., Signet Assurance) and thus I believe he knows what he is talking about. Dwight said that it is important to have a special attitude in order to become a successful entrepreneur and business owner. You have to be inspired of your business idea and like to work hard to realize it.
I am not sure yet if I would really like to become such a busy businessman but I think that the democratic leadership style is the best way to lead employees (it does not matter if you are the COO or just the chief of four employees). I do not believe that I have changed my mind regarding my preferred leadership skills because I knew before that the participative open style works out well. But I believe that by watching and talking to people like Dwight helps everybody to train and improve his or her leading behavior.





No comments:

Post a Comment